Figma, Sketch, Invision
Hey there, this is the default text for a new paragraph. Feel free to edit this paragraph by clicking on the yellow edit icon. After you are done just click on the yellow checkmark button on the top right. Have Fun!
Before diving deep in a new challenge it is necessary to create a plan. I employed the Double Diamond framework.
When choosing my Capstone Project, I recalled a conversation I had with a friend of mine who is an Art Director. During this conversation he was lamenting about how difficult it was to find professionals in the creative space to collaborate with whenever he was given a Project Brief by a client. I had a lightbulb moment there and this gave me a real problem to solve.
I wanted to know if other creative professionals in the industry were having the same challanges when it came to collaboarating, so I did some secondary research to kick start this project and here is what I found:
After finding out that this was a common problem in the creative space, I sought out to create a digital solution to enhance collaboration among freelance creative professionals. Collaboration plays such a vital role in the conceptualization and execution of projects. Creatives do not work in silos. Well-executed projects are driven by well-organized and exceptionally-talented teams of individuals.
In order to understand the current landscape of this problem space better, I did a comparison of similar products currently available on the market. I looked at three different products and the benefits they each offered to their users.
For my primary research, I decided to use the interview method, conducting one-on-one interviews with millennial creative professionals who had experience collaborating with other creative professionals on a variety of projects. I wanted to gain a deeper understanding of how they find work and professionals to collaborate with. I also wanted to know what was missing from the process and what they thought might make it better.
I discovered themes from the interviews that allowed me to narrow my focus on what I could solve with a native app solution that would make the biggest impact for users.
In order to synthesize my interview findings and really tailor my solution, I created a primary persona to represent the needs, wants, motivations and frustrations of my target user. Allow me to introduce you to Lisa Dutti!
With Lisa as my point of reference, I wanted to understand how she currently experiences collaboration on projects. I mapped out her current state in an experience map and used this to identify areas of opportunity to best help her.
At the beginning of this project, I set out with a "how might we" question that would act as a northern star to guide my solution development. It asked "How might we improve collaboration among creative professionals amidst COVID-19 in order to enhance the quality of work produced?
At this stage in the Double Diamond, after thinking divergently and working my way towards a convergent action, I revised my "how might we" question to better suit the needs of the users that I interviewed.
Before designing the core task flow, I decided to play around with a couple of ideation sketches on how I wanted the elements to be arranged on the app's interface, figuring out a logical order for accomplishing users goals. I started off with organized doodling, moved on to "crazy 8" sketching and eventually ended with three concept sketches.
(Concept 1 did not make the cut for this presentation)
With a HMW question and our primary persona Lisa at the forefront, I authored user stories under three main epics that started to direct the functionality of my solution. After authoring these user stories, I revisited the persona, the interview insights, and the experience map and then decided that the core epic the minimum viable product will focus on was "content-creation"
The initial task flow was quite limited in functionality. In order to communicate the core value proposition of the digital product, I decided to go ahead and add some more features that would further complement the experience of the app
I presented my sketches to a couple of test users which I interviewed and discovered that concept 3 was the most effective way to solve the problem for the target users. From these sketches, I created a mid-fidelity prototype that could represent the functionality of my solution in order to get feedback from usability testing as quickly as possible.
With an initial mid-fidelity prototype ready to go, I conducted 5 usability tests with users that fit my target audience criteria. I recorded their responses, iterated on the design, while also marginally increasing the fidelity. I then took the second version of the mid-fidelity prototype and conducted another round of usability tests with 5 new participants. Below are crucial changes that were made between versions 1, 2 and 3
Once I had the functionality of my product defined, it was time to start exploring the visual identity of what I wanted the native app to be. I started by creating a mood board based on the adjectives - "creative", "social" & "collaborative". From the creation of this mood board, I created a colour palette that was simple with multiple accent colours to portray the social side of the brand. Finally, I began developing a brand name and logo mark to really drive home the branding of this solution.